donderdag 12 augustus 2010

rather be safe than sorry...

Upon request of some of my english speaking friends I will write this next blog entry in English....
On saturday I went to a real African ball with my host brother and another girl that works as a volunteer in my township.
But ofcourse before i could attend this ball i needed the right outfit, so my 2 sisters took me shopping on friday evening in the local mall. It was like hell shopping with those two. The more glittery and shiny the dresses were, the more beautiful they thought the dress was and the more sick that dress made me feel! haha. This resulted in me not buying a dress at all! They did convince me to buy some glittery (black!) pumps and some very shiny jewelry. Luckily I brought a little black dress from home (my one emergency dress in case of funeral/wedding/baptism/party...and after 4 weeks it already came in handy). So I was happy with my 'sophisticated' dress and my sisters were happy with my shiny accesories! everybody happy :) Late in the afternoon my brother and I left together. On our way into the ballroom we got a drink and had to walk in on a red carpet. All the girls were dressed so glamorous, very blingbling! They looked like real stars :) I didn't need a dress to stand out though, my white skin did that for me! haha.The room was beautifully decorated...an all white theme. It was a great night, but unfortunately I had to pass for the afterparty (streetparty) as it was in a dodgy area and it wouldn't be safe enough for me to go to. I didn't really mind, the ball was great by itself!
Monday was a day off from the project as it was national women's day! great! This day all the men need to take extra good care of their women ;) I had an AFS meeting (the organisation) with all the other volunteers living in my township. It was nice meeting them, most were from Germany.We discussed how things were going in our projects and what we would like to see changed. We are also given the opportunity to start up one of our own small scaled projects. I might be interested in working with an arts and culture group. Our main aim is to get the children off the streets and give them all opportunities in life they deserve. An opportunity that everyone deserves. Many children do not have a proper education as their parents have died, or they have no money to go to school...so they are just living on the streets playing, begging, stealing,... This is where we as AFS volonteers come in, just to give these children some hope towards their future!
Afs will also take us to other townships like Pretoria and Soweto, so we can compare these (richer) townships to our own Davyton.
I am also planning a trip to Kruger National Park sometime soon but as public transport in South Africa is almost non existant I'm not sure how I will be getting there. Maybe walk...see how far I would get! ;)
Through my blog i would also like to say an extra HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my little cousin Judith! Thinking of you!!!

Zulu sentence of the week : Unanga Khi? (How old are you?) :)

Lots of love from South-Africa xxx
Simphiwe

1 opmerking:

  1. Dag Zoë, dank je wel voor de tekeningen. Het is hier heel koud en het regent. Ik heb een brief voor jou geschreven met een foto. Heb jij ook nog koud? Ik ben al veel gegroeid, mama zegt het ook. Dikke kus van Judith

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen